Saturday, November 5, 2011

Saturdays, What Can Ya Say?

I never thought a Saturday good be so full, and it isn't even midterms or finals. I guess my life so so boring that a bus ride to an art museum is monumental. I have a paper due in two weeks on one of eight pieces in the Menil collection, about a 15 minute bus ride from the dorms. Thankfully this time taking the bus went better than last time. And as a bonus I got some groceries on the way back.

The trip started out a little rocky. I missed the bus the first time by about 30 seconds. With this being the first time I have taken the city bus, and the first time using this route, naturally I wanted to make sire all went well. So the bus pulls up and I am pretty sure its the right one, but to be absolutely sure, I asked the driver if this was the westbound bus. It doesn't establish much confidence in the metro bus system when even the bus driver doesn't know if this bus that he is driving is the westbound bus. All he could tell me is that it was going that way, pointing west. The only thing I could say was that I was glad I printed out a map of the bus route, and knew which way we were going, and knew which way was west. I must have a better magnet in my nose than I thought.

And then I realized on the walk to the museum that I don't know where the bus stop is for the return trip. How stupid could I be? Usually I am a prepared person. Usually I have triple checked every detail that I may need for the contingency plan of the contingency plan. But the air of calm that surrounded me this morning blinded me to that rather crucial part of my outing. Good thing I happened upon the logic of the Houston metro system. I had this brilliant thought while walking around, if the westbound bus stops on one side of the street, and the route is just reversed, than that means that the eastbound bus stops at a similar spot on the other side of the street. What an amazing thought. It's amazing what a nice fall day, a mile walk, and the need for a way home will produce.

Talking of epiphanies, I found a Kroger. It was the oddest thing, I was walking, keeping and eye on my surroundings, making sure I don't get totally utterly lost, and realized that I was passing behind a Kroger. I had been trying to figure out a way to get to a grocery store, and here was one literally staring me in the face. Kinda weird. The only downside was that I was walking all around the surrounding areas looking for a bus stop afterwards with two shopping bags off odds and ends looking like a tad bit of a dork. Although I have been told I don't need two shopping bags of stuff to do that. Then since I just finished going on a 'school trip' to a museum, I just had to watch To Sir With Love. A sacrifice I know, but someone has to do it!

On to other subjects though, I finished my pair of socks last night. Turned out real nice, for my first pair. Justin's Christmas sweater is under 2 inches away from getting ribbed and sleeved. And Dad's vest still hasn't been forgiven from the grave offense it committed. After I finish Justin's sweater I will take out the front and lower the v-neck. I still can't face it, and as mentioned before, necessity can do marvelous things.

Just before I fell asleep last night I had the oddest thought. For some reason I was thinking about jello. I had the thought that it would be awesome to cover everything in a room and have an all out jello fight. Like food fights in the cafeteria, but with jello. Don't ask where that came from, but still, wouldn't that be fun?

Oh, I never said how the Menil itself was. For the assignment I had to look at the antiquities, basically Aegean, Hellenistic, Roman and up to about the 18th century stuff. Nothing much to interest me. But what was really cool was the surrealist stuff. I don't know why, but I really like style. Much more interesting than bits of bronze or stone carved into terrible representations of the human body. It bored me in class and it was no better in person.

This week should be a little less stressful. But this is only Saturday, who know what could happen when classes commence again on Monday. Professors can have a nasty sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment